The original question concerned a ++PROGRAM element, while this example is
for an ordinary MOD/LMOD created directly from a SAMPLIB member. No need to
store a copy separately. SMP/E assembles and links the sample program into
LINKLIB in one APPLY step.

//SMPPTFIN DD   DATA,DLM=$$
++USERMOD(SYMUPD1) REWORK(2007194)
                   /* This usermod links object format SAMPLIB member
                      IEASYMUP, which adds or modifes system symbolics.
                      No changes are made to the sample, but UCLIN
                      sets the RMID in case a future PTF requires the
                      member to be relinked.
                   */ .
++VER(Z038) FMID(HBB7740) /* ZOS R19 */ .
++ JCLIN .
//LINKEDIT EXEC PGM=IEWL,PARM='XREF,LIST,LET,NCAL,AC=1'
//SYSLMOD  DD  DSN=SYS1.LINKLIB,DISP=SHR
//SAMPLIB  DD  DSN=SYS1.SAMPLIB,DISP=SHR
//SYSLIN   DD  *
 INCLUDE SAMPLIB(IEASYMUP)
 NAME IEASYMUP(R)
++MOD(IEASYMUP) TXLIB(SAMPLIB) .
$$

To say in sync with any updates to the SAMPLIB element, include this:

UCLIN .
  REP SAMP(IEASYMUP) RMID(SYMUPD1) .
ENDUCL .

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
626-302-7535 Office
323-715-0595 Mobile
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             "Schwarz, Barry
             A"
             <barry.a.schwarz@                                          To
             BOEING.COM>               IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
             Sent by: IBM                                               cc
             Mainframe
             Discussion List                                       Subject
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Re: SMP/E ++PROGRAM vs ++LMOD
             .EDU>

             02/07/2008 12:18
             PM

             Please respond to
               IBM Mainframe
              Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   .EDU>

What I do in this case is place the source file in a PDS and in the
USERMOD I include ++SAMP and ++SRC MCS statements, with both having the
same TXLIB operand.  The SAMP updates the sample so vendor maintenance
gets caught during APPLY CHECK and the SRC forces the assembly so the
program gets built.