Alan Altmark writes:
>However, you will pay z/VM and Linux middleware license fees based on the
>total number of CPs, even if you have just one LPAR with one logical CPU.
>Those with larger CP counts will likely find adding a couple of IFLs to be
>better strategy.

True. Just to expand on what Alan is saying, for z/VM and much (but not
all) Linux middleware you have to license all CPs in the machine (if you
run on at least one CP), all IFLs (if you run on at least one IFL), or both
(if you run on both). So if you have a large number of CPs that's something
to consider.

That said, licenses are portable. For example, if today you have 3 CPs in
your machine, you can start running Linux on, say, a fraction of one CP.
You'll then have to buy three z/VM processor licenses (assuming you're
running under z/VM) and three middleware licenses (with the exception of
some sub-capacity products, e.g. WebSphere Application Server for Linux on
z). But if you then decide you like what you see, you can buy 3 IFLs, move
z/VM and Linux onto the IFLs (and off the CPs), and you already have all
the software licenses you need. Also, at least in IBM's case, middleware
licenses for Linux are portable. For example, you can retire a Windows X86
processor and move that platform's IBM middleware licenses to Linux on z
without even phoning IBM.

I got the sense the original poster just wanted to boot up Linux on a CP
and have "fun" with it, probably in an LPAR or two without z/VM and without
any particular licensed middleware products. (Or that he already had z/VM.)
Hence my original answer responded to that situation. But hopefully Alan
and I are helping explain the bigger picture now. In short, there's
certainly no technical impediment to running Linux on CPs, and, at least
for "kicking the tires," that often makes financial sense, too.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]