[snip]

> I can say without fear of contridiction, but at the same time not
> being free to give out details, that some of the "kernel" is written
> in C.

Thanks. That's interesting to know. And may explain some of the recent
enhancements that IBM has made in their C compiler.

> Also - you may want to look at z/VM; some of its "kernel" is written
> in C too.  I believe if you have access to the z/VM source (I'm
> not sure if that's still made available) you'll find it.

Ah, for the days when I had access to z/VM.

> I also seem to recall an article in the IBM technical journals
> about porting C code into z/OS and z/VM; and the efficacy
> of code-reuse that provided.

Now that is curious. Why would C code be more efficient for code reuse
than PL/X? Not to be overly tacky, but is IBM hoisting some BSD licensed
code into various z/OS areas? I know that they did with OpenSSH. Much
less expensive to port it than to create an SSH server / client from
scratch. I wish, as usual, that IBM made their patches public. But I
will guess that is why IBM likely will not use much GPL'ed software in
z/OS.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.