According to the WebSphere InfoCenter
(http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.websphere.ihs.doc/info/ihs/ihs/welc6miginstallihsz.html
):

<quote>
Note: IBM HTTP Server for z/OS, which is provided with WebSphere Application
Server, is different from the Version 5.3 HTTP Server for z/OS, which is
provided with the z/OS base operating system and is not powered by Apache.
The information contained within the IBM HTTP Server product documentation
pertains to IBM HTTP Server for WebSphere Application Server, not the
Version 5.3 HTTP Server.

You can install the IBM HTTP Server for WebSphere Application Server product
on z/OS systems. Order the Version 6.1 PTF for WebSphere Application Server
that contains the IBM HTTP Server for z/OS to get started.
</quote>

I believe I saw another announcement about how to order this without WAS,
but I can't locate it.  Go figure.

****

More on the Apache-based version in
http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/WP101170

<quote>
Abstract: For many years IBM has provided an HTTP Server for the z/OS
operating system. That HTTP Server was based on an earlier HTTP Server
called the “Domino Go Webserver,” and for that reason it is sometimes
referred to informally as “DGW.” More often it was referred to as “the HTTP
Server” or “IHS.” Lately that HTTP Server has been delivered as part of the
base operating system. It is currently at the V5R3 level. In 2006 IBM
released a different HTTP Server for z/OS. This was based on the open source
Apache web server, and extended to be z/OS-aware. This web server is known
as the “IBM HTTP Server for z/OS Powered by Apache.” That is presently at
Version V6R1. Future functional enhancements will be made to this HTTP
Server on z/OS. The purpose of this document is to make you aware of this
new IBM HTTP Server for z/OS and help you understand how to acquire it and
use it.
</quote>

***

And, of course, there is the documentation for the DGW-based HTTP server
which some of us know and love (or hate) - SC34-4826-09 (for the z/OS V1R9
version).

And, as a side note, for you WAS on z/OSers, IBM has publicly (re)released
Jinsight (http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/jinsightlive), which, I can say
as an ex-IBMer, was an *awesome* tool.  It could be used on any platform
before, and perhaps this one can too, but they are only advertising it to
the z-crowd.  Not sure why.

Aaron

>> o How many HTTP servers does IBM supply for z/OS?
>Currently, only one: IBM HTTP Server (IHS).  WAS is not a web server, it is
a Web Application Server, i.e., a J2EE monster.

>> o Which one(s) are Apache-derived?
>
>Since there's only one, all of them.  :)  If you go back and do some Google
searches, you'll likely find the various stories of how IBM got involved
with open source software to start with.  To summarize, they decided it was
silly to continue to develop/maintain an IBM web server when Apache was
already being used by 60% of the world.  The Apache license allows you to
take their source, modify it, and turn around and license the package for
profit, which is what they've done.  They think of it as their mods adding
value to the whole package, making it worth people paying for.