>Of course, an LLA REFRESH (or UPDATE) is also needed to find the new
>member.  This could be very useful when a product data set in the linklist
goes
>into another extent, especially if it is a product that can be stopped and

>restarted. or one that is not constantly in use, such as, for example, a
>compiler.

In the case I was referring to, namely a new LNKLST set activate, LLA is
automatically updated so that fetches coming from a space using that new
LNKLST set will get the right data.

In fact, there's a subtlety here such that LNKLST REFRESH would not be a
good thing to do. REFRESH (or any UPDATE, but for update pertaining only to
the specific information that is the target of the update) tells LLA to
synch-up everything and keep only one copy. But for extent situations, it
might be functionally necessary to have two (but LLA cannot acocmmodate
that after refresh).

So now imagine that this is done for member X which appeared in a "new
extent". After refresh, when fetched using the new LNKLST set, all is well.
When fetched using the old LNKLST set: oops, fetch will fail using the old
LNKLST set because the directory entry will have been refreshed and thus
will reference the copy in the new extent.

I think I have this right. I wouldn't bet that this behavior is well (or
even "at all") described. It is basically the behavior you get when you
refresh LLA even without multiple LNKLST sets when member X is in a new
extent. That doesn't work either. And that all ties to why IBM recommends,
and the healch check CSV_LNKLST_EXTENTS "complains" if not met, that LNKLST
data sets have no secondary extents.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technologhy Design