Edward Jaffe wrote:

Rick Fochtman wrote:

I can't say for sure what compression algorithm I'll use in the updated ARCHIVER; overall performance and some of the technical details will still need exploration but I've got some starting points now.

Remember that there are high-performance, hardware-assisted compression and expansion services available in z/OS.

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/iea2a670/23.0

I'm well aware of that, and it's a serious consideration. I need to explore, and understand, how those facilities are used.