On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:58:55 +0200, G+D+J+ B+N%  #B+J+ wrote:

>We currently send physical 3480's to an external customer.
>
>The customer has asked if we could send them the tapes as AWStape files.
>
>They are evaluating a product called VTA (Virtual Tape Appliance) from a
>company called Universal Software.
>
>I've looked at CBT file 533, but I'm not sure which program to use.
>
>What program would i use to convert a physical 3480 to an AWSTape file that
>can be used by VTA.

I looked at this a while ago, and was somewhat disappointed.
I know it's uncharitable, and if I had the assembler skills,
resources, and motivation, I'd attempt repairs instead of
complaining.  But I noticed:

o The distribution includes a C program, "STRIPPAD.c" to deal
  with a problem that the last block is sometimes incorrectly
  terminated.  This would better be incorporated into the
  mainline code rather than in a separate utility.

o There's a data areas macro that appears as a PDS member, and
  again instream in the program that calls it; a hazard to
  orderly maintenance.  My assembler skill is sufficient that
  I was able to replace the inline with a COPY from SYSLIB with
  no apparent ill effects.

o The "strippad" problem might be fixed with support for
  RECFM=VB output -- no padding, then.  But here my assembler
  skills are insufficient.

o I'd like to be able to write/read UNIX files directly.  There
  might be no obstacle; DD PATH= might suffice; I haven't tried
  it.  But I'd prefer to have RECFM=VB before the attempt.

And my failure in motivation arises because our recipient,
unlike Gadi's is not crying out for AWSTAPE -- I'd need to
sell them on the idea, and motivate them ($$ -- they're a
contractor, not a customer) to convert to ASWTAPE format.

Too many obstacles; I can't justify it internally.  An
alternative might be the CMS PIPELINES BLOCK ASWTAPE stage.

My pipedream would be a subsystem that would mount AWSTAPE
archives directly, instead of copying them to physical
tapes.  CMS PIPELINES actually comes closer to this.

-- gil