-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Pawel Leszczynski
Sent: 03/09/2008 5:06 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: how fast can I sort on mainframe (using DFSORT)?

Hello everybody,

I realize subject is VEEEERY broad and my question VEEEERY general, but...

Recently in our shop we are reviewing our whole batch processing.
Most of the time of EOD processing is consumed by sort of many big
sequential
files. (One such file has approximately order of 10GB, 10mln records)
I listed few tens of such batch jobs (the longest-lasting ones)
and computed mean sorting rate.
It appeared to be about 1GB/min ~ 17MB/sec

I suppose it's very poor result(???).

Can you tell me how much I can improve this?

These batch jobs are little CPU-consuming (~10% of one CPU),
I suppose that major concern is to:

-limit EXCPS (1)
-increase throughput rate from DASD to central storage (2)

I realize that sorting whole file in central storage (hiperspace sorting)
would
eliminate need to use work files and EXCPS to them.
How much central storage is needed to handle in-storage sorting for
let's say 10 GB file???

How much can I  improve (2)?

Can you tell me what is mean sorting rate in your installation?
Before starting I would just like to know if I can achieve substantial
improvement.

TIA,
Pawel Leszczynski
PKO BP SA