On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:16:26 +0000, Ted MacNEIL wrote:

>They are not going to change after 30 years because that would break too many
>things.
>
>That may not be logical, but that's how it works.

It's the rules.  We gotta deal with it.  I recently had the
complementary problem coding an awk script while my mind was
operating in Rexx mode.  I had "0" in an environment variable
and "0" behaves differently from 0 in some contexts.

In this case, I dealt with it by changing "if ( SWITCH )" to
"if ( SWITCH + 0 )"  to force a numeric test.

Cowlishaw tried to implement the principle of least astonishment
by designing so that if two things look the same, they should
behave the same.  Alas, a collateral consequence is that if two
things look different, they may regardless behave the same.

Do I understand correctly that in Java:

    2 + "2" is 4, but

    "2" + 2 is "22"?  The "+" operator is not commutative.

-- gil