Hi,

we are a group using z/OS Unix and have been given an HFS (USS?)

we can install gmake ourselves as per our z/OS sysprog

have downloaded and unwound gmake.pax.Z.bin from IBM and it looks to be EBCDIC
already. The unwind created folders bin, share, info, and man and put all the
data there.

the installation instructions from the IBM redbook say the following is the
core of a script to (build?) gmake.

------------------------------------
gzip - -d make-3.79.1.tar.gz | pax -o from=ISO8859-1,to=IBM-1047 -r   (already
paxed and EBCDIC already, doubts arise)
cd make ( there is no make folder in z/OS Unix and the pax file I downloaded
does not create a make folder, doubts increase)
export CFLG='-O2 -D_ALL_SOURCE'
CC=cc CFLAGS="$CFLG" CCC=c++ CXXFLAGS="-+ $CFLG" ./configure
--prefix=$installDir
make
make install
------------------------------------

my question really is how do I really install gmake. I have it unwound on z/OS
Unix, just don't know what to do with it. I don't think the above script will
work for me as the file I downloaded is not what this script expects to see.
The MVS sysprog says we can install it ourselves but our userid doesn't have
write access to root (/).  What do I do to get this puppy installed? Do I need
to pay attention to the above scirpt? Or do I modify our .profile for the
exports and issue the 2 make commands?

I'm totally new at this and just need gmake for other ends. I wonder if I
should create a script like the above without the first 2 lines and run that on
z/OS Unix? I've had other feedback that said to just move the unwound folders
(and data) down to root. One of those folders exist (bin) and the others don't.

anyone have more information or know where I can get more?

Thanks