Sam,
Do you really need the datasets back or just need to delete them? You
should be able to do a DELETE gds NVS with a FILE(dd) pointing to the
volser where the orphaned dataset resides.
If you need to get the dataset back, you need to redefine the gdg base and
do a DEFINE NVSAM(gds) RECATALOG to get each gds associated with the
recreated gdg base.
If each gds is not SMS-managed and is single volume, you should be able to
redefine the gdg base, use tso panel 3.4 to bring up the dataset in the
list and issue C on the operator line next to the dataset.
Regards,
John