>Speaking of vibration testing...I remember back sometime in the 1970's we had
>an intermittent storage director.

We had a bunch of Amdahl 6280's that had a problem with a string of some
metallic substance that would grow (as a crystal) from the nameplate down to
the platter.
If it touched the platter it would short out and cause data errors.
We had two data centres, with one having the problem and the other not.
We finally figured it out when we realised that the site that didn't have the
problem was near a railway track and the vibrations wouldn't let the crystal
grow since it was shaken off so quickly.
So, there was an engineering change brought in to have the CE's come in once a
week and tap all the DASD with a Doctor's reflex hammer to stop the build-up.

Eventually, Amdahl came up with the 'zapper' fix that would 'zap' these
crystals once a week and disintigrate the crystals.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!