I was going through all the files associated with one of my TSO IDs and
I found a number of ISPF Backup datasets that have been archived.

How or why would these get orphaned (if they have been archived, I
consider them orphaned)? The format of the names is:
userid.ISRnnnnn.BACKUP which matches the format for current edit backup
datasets (I'm currently editing source and one of the backups won't let
me look at it, because it is in use).

I have recalled the orphaned ones and I can look in them. I can see some
of them are for source that I have updated (and there are 2-3 backups
for a member), and ultimately promoted.

It would seem to me that should I have lost a TSO session through
timeout or session lost or some such, that the next time I went into
edit I should have been prompted for edit recovery and then these files
should have gone away upon successful termination of the edit session.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- All opinions expressed by me are my own and may not necessarily
reflect those of my employer. --