I recommend you study the handout from SHARE session 8132 in the
SHARE proceedings from Long Beach, California in February 2004:

 "Extending the Life Cycle of Legacy Applications"
 "(With Added Thoughts Specific to Assembler Language)"

It contains a detailed analysis of factors to consider when you
want to "modernize" existing assembler applications.

John Ehrman

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:56:09 -0500, John Bachiochi