On 20 Mar 2008 16:44:16 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Todd Burch)
wrote:

>You're smart enough to know what a COBOL file is.  So I didn't word it
>perfectly.
>
>Actually, it doesn't matter what produced the file, as long as the binary
>file to be converted could be described by a file that looks like a
>copybook.  ;)

But the combination of calling it "CoBOL" and "binary" does imply
something that is significant in this thread.

If it contains binary (or packed) numbers, a standard FTP conversion
between EBCDIC and ASCII won't work.   All of the data to be converted
must actually be encoded in EBCDIC - which means they must be in USAGE
DISPLAY.