Given the recent thread on this topic, has anyone arrived at a bullet-proof
solution with capturing
SMF data for a time-period (date specific not withstanding) when using SMF
support for system logger
in z/OS 1.9, so there are no duplicate SMF records generated across "dumped"
output files, created
by IFASMFDL?  The concern here being that the logger data is a pipe/stream, the
TIME parameter
supports a minute-level specification and that the SMF timestamp granularity is
at 1/100 of a second
(somewhat incompatible with the IFASMFDP/IFASMFDL TIME parameter specification).

As a consideration, I am evaluating a CA product, CA SMF DIRECTOR, which
appears to have
functionality ideal with z/OS 1.9 and system logger, where a "data marker" is
identified across SMF
capture/unload processes (invoked IFASMFDL using exits as I understand).  The
object here is to
reduce/eliminate the duplicate data exposure without requiring a no-duplicates
SORT option (still
only at a 1/100th second granularity, by the way), especially considering a
large-shop where there
might be 40 million or more SMF 101/110/116 records (you choose the AND | OR
condition for SMF type,
as appropriate), which is unreasonable.

At least with IFASMFDP, there is a finite start and end with each SMF MAN
dataset processing, when
performing the SMF capture/unload processing, throughout the day (at a 8-minute
peak interval for a
DB2/CICS/MQ LPAR).

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.