Jan Vanbrabant wrote:
Hi Ted (and/or Ed),
Is this documented somewhere in an official IBM document?
jan

I'm not sure exactly where this is documented in the "maze" of IBM announcements and related material. But, in this February 2008 IT Jungle article by Hesh Wiener, he summarizes the policy this way:

http://www.itjungle.com/big/big022608-story01.html

"Once a user buys a specialty engine, it survives an upgrade. So if a customer bought one for a z900 and then moved to a z990 and later to a z9 EC, the price of the first engine is the only price the user would have paid. IBM moves the engine, or more accurately turns on an equivalent engine, whenever a customer upgrades. Because successive generations have faster engines for standard and specialty use, the user ends up getting more specialty MIPS with the upgrade at no additional cost."

I have no personal experience with IFL, zIIP, or zAAP upgrades. But, our ICF survived the transition from our z800 to our z9BC.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc