This came as a shock to me. We just went to a basic sysplex, splitting a
single image into two images. We just had a lockup occur between the two
images. This was caused because SPFEDIT does a RESERVE on the volume
during a save operation. OK, mea culpa, for not reading every word of
all the manuals where it is mentioned. The problem came up due to a
package called Data Accelerator, which does on-the-fly compression of
VSAM and non-VSAM files. What appears to have happened is that a TSO
user does a SAVE on one system. Coincidentally just a bit after this (I
think) Data Accelerator on the other system attempts a RESERVE on its
control file, which happens to be on the same volume. This "hangs" Data
Accelerator on the second system. But, part of the SAVE operation on the
first system invokes Data Accelerator to see if the file is compressed,
requiring access to the control file which the second system has "hung
up" on. Now both systems are hung up in Data Accelerator. This
eventually hangs up every OPEN and CLOSE on both systems until I figure
out what is going on (about 5 minutes once I'm informed of a problem).

The resolution: Put SPFEDIT in the conversion RNL. Also, put BMCBCSS in
the reserve conversion RNL as well.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.