David

Sorry for the late reply.

Rather than someone who's been there I'm someone who's going there. A
customer with whom I am working will need to "split" the TN3270 server into
its own address space in the near future.

The way to look at this "split" of the TN3270 function from the rest of the CS
IP functions is to realise that the developers have made absolutely minimal
changes - why would they do anything else? Thus they have exploited the
possibility to run multiple instances - some call them "stacks" - of CS IP. In
effect there are two instances of the old CS IP main address space, one
dedicated to all the previous functions *except* the TN3270 server and one
supporting, of all the previous functions, *only* the TN3270 server.

In the V1R9 IP System Administrator's Commands manual this "split" is
reflected in the restructuring of the manual in respect of the DISPLAY and
VARY commands. The restructuring of the description of the VARY command
addresses your concern.

There really should have been an update affecting the OBEYFILE command
description in previous editions of the IP System Administrator's Commands
manual to help you appreciate how the "split" was being handled. I checked
the V1R8 manual and there is not a whiff of a hint about the possibility to use
the OBEYFILE command with the separated TN3270 server but the guilty
parties, the authors of this and earlier manuals, must now be excused their
crimes even if the evidence - and the consequences - persist.

Incidentally, matters concerning z/OS Communications Server, SNA as well as
IP, tend to get more attention in the ibmtcp-l list:

<quote>

For IBMTCP-L subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO IBMTCP-L

</quote>

Chris Mason