We are beginning to test  SMF in logstreams and so far, so good.  Like
others have mentioned, I really, really want the ability
to delete records from the logstream programmatically after I've extracted
them, but I can wait.  Based on our experiences with
VSAM SMF recording over the years we've decided to use a 2 day RETPD for
SMF.   I do, however, have
some nits to pick:

        1.)  Logstream Structure Names:  The doc is vague on what to name
the structures.  Every CF structure I've worked with,
at the least said Structure names must begin with <blah-blah>.  Not so
here.  I knew that IBM reserved the string "SYS" for itself when
naming structures, so I arbitrarily picked
SYSSMF_<System_Name>_<Record_Type>.  I would've expected at the least,
"Name the
structure whatever you want".  The SMF manual refers you to the Setting up
a Sysplex manual which doesn't address the specifics
required for SMF.

        2.) The IBM CFSizer webpage has no tools for helping you size your
SMF structures.  I emailed the webmaster for that page
and he tells me that while IBM recognizes the need, no time frame is
available as to when an SMF CFSizer tool will be available.

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the
intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the
information, or copying of this message is prohibited.  If you are not the
message.