On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:49:16 -0500, Mark Zelden wrote:

>JCLIN LLQ must equal the DDDEF name.  There is no requirement that a DDDEF
>of LINKLIB point to hlq.LINKLIB.   It can point to SCHMUEL.METZ and SMP/E
>will happily go on its way.

Is that true other than for SYSLMOD in binder steps?  I'm
accustomed to thinking that for all others task DDNAME is equal
to DDDEF name (possibly modified by alternate DDNAME list).

But, come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever coded JCLIN
other than for binder steps.

OK.  I RTFM.  I see:

9.7.4 "SMP/E V3R4.0 Commands"

9.7.4 Processing copy steps

   When scanning the copy input, SMP/E assumes the ddnames of the statement are
the same
   as the lowest-level qualifier of the data set referred to.

Gasp!  TMI!  I can think of at least 5 names:

1. The DDDEF name.

2. The LLQ of the DSNAME in the DDDEF (also as catalogued).

3. The DDNAME in the JCLIN DD statement.

4. The LLQ of the DSNAME appearing in the JCLIN DD Statement.

5. The DDNAME in the COPY command in SYSIN.

The RM tells me that (clearly) (5) must match either (ambiguously) (4)
or (2).  May I then assume that (1) and (3) (and one of either (4) or (2))
are irrelevant and can be anything I want?

-- gil