On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:06:04 -0400, John Eells wrote:

>Tom Marchant wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:28:25 -0400, John Eells wrote:
>>> Extended aliases (those defined with SYMBOLICRELATE) don't work well
>>> (i.e., at all!) for entries in the master catalog.  Did you mean data
>>> set aliases?
>>
>> Really?  In what way do you mean?  I used them for an ISV product a few
>> years ago and they seemed to work quite nicely.
>>

>I wasn't clear.  I mean that if the *entry describing the data set* is
>in the master catalog, SYMBOLICRELATE is probably not the tool you want
>to use.  ;-)

Depends on what you want to do, I suppose.  The example in DFSMS:
Managing Catalogs is
  DEFINE ALIAS (NAME(SYS1.PRODUCT) -
    SYMBOLICRELATE('SYS1.&PRODVR..PRODUCT'))

>It's fine, of course, to have an *alias* defined with SYMBOLICRELATE in
>the master catalog, pointing (once the symbol has been resolved) to a
>user catalog where the *data set entry* lives.  This works well,
>particularly for product set catalogs that are used for subsystems or
>other products that aren't in the z/OS product set.

Now I'm really confused.  AFAIK, a data set alias for a non-VSAM data set,
with or without SYMBOLICRELATE, does not point to a catalog.

--
Tom Marchant