I am still working on my TSO command processor. The output from this
command can be directed to: (1) the user's terminal via PUTLINE; (2) a
dataset (dynamically allocated); (3) a DD name; (4) a UNIX path; or (5) a
SYSOUT dataset.

Q1: When I output to a dataset, I use DISP=OLD. In this case, I see no
reason to do the SPFEDIT enqueue/reserve. Agreed? Oh, if the dataset does
not exist, then I redo my DYNALLOC with a DISP=NEW. I __assume__ that
something such as SMS will give the DSN allocation parameters, or that the
user includes the LIKE(existing.dsn) parameter to get the allocation
parameters.

Q2: If I detect that the dataset name includes a member name, should I do
a DISP=SHR and use the SPFEDIT enqueue/reserve? If DISP=SHR fails, should
I __not__ attempt to create the dataset?

Q3: If I decide to use the SPFEDIT enqueue/reserve, should I even bother
with the RESERVE or just do an ENQ? I'm trying to figure out why to do a
reserve.

Q4: Should I bother doing the SPFEDIT enqueue on a UNIX file? ISPF does,
but it is not ver UNIXy to do this sort of thing.

Q5: The manual doesn't state, but I think that SPFEDIT for z/OS datasets
always use the SYSTEMS attribute, true? I guess it must be for a RESERVE.

Well, that's all for now, ladies and germs.
--
Q: What do theoretical physicists drink beer from?
A: An EIN stein.

Maranatha!
John McKown