Kelman, Tom wrote:
John,

I believe that your statements would hold true if you were comparing an
IFL on the z9 against the p6.  As I understand it the p6 chip is a
1.8Ghz chip and the z9 IFL has a 1.2Ghz chip.  So if you move from an
AIX server using the p6 chip to LINUX on a z9 IFL you'd be losing some
power.  However, the IFL on the z10 has a 4.4Ghz chip in it.  Based on
that theoretically you could move about 2.4 full Power 595 servers to an
IFL on the z10.  At least you should be able to make the move at a 2 to
1 ratio.

Tom Kelman

Even if you could compare Ghz to Ghz the latest p6's run at 4.6 and 5 Ghz.

However comparing Ghz to Ghz is like comparing car engine performance based on RPMs. Just because one car engine turns faster than another does not mean it is better performing.

I mean do you really believe that you could migrate the work load from a 3-way z9 down to a 1-way 3.2 Ghz XEON? Well, depending on what the work load is you might be able to, but for the most part I would think not.

Intel/AMD, Power, and zSeries are all designed with different architectures and therefore even at the same Ghz ratings get different throughput on different benchmarks (if you could find a common benchmark that has been run on all 3 platforms).