From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Pommier, Rex R.
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 1:02 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Help with applying maintenance

I'm hoping you aren't applying the maintenance to the in-use libraries,
but to libraries with the same names on a different pack.

If this is the case, I go ahead and allocate the ".NEW" libraries and
apply my maintenance into them.  I then do something that's probably
quite dangerous and I'll most likely get my virtual fingers slapped here
for suggesting this, but I'll rename the libraries to something really
close to the production names, like "SYS1.VTAMLIC" for "SYS1.VTAMLIB".
I then uncatalog the libraries (because I have the production libraries
cataloged using indirect catalogs).  I then shut off the VTOC index, do
a DUMPT of the VTOC on the volume with the new libraries and use
SUPERZAP to zap the VTOC to the correct DSN.  After another DUMPT to
make sure I didn't screw anything up, I then reactivate the VTOC index.

If somebody else has a "safer" way of doing this, I'd be willing to
change my (probably bad) habits.  :-)

Rex