From: Paul Gilmartin [mailto:snip]
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 9:26 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Shop zSeries Ordering Issues

On Fri, 2 May 2008 15:13:43 -0700, Schwarz, Barry A wrote:

>And while we are on the subject, why does an internet download have to
>go to a Unix file?  Is there some reason SMP/E couldn't handle a normal

>dataset?  If I wanted a Unix system, I would have bought one.

Because UNIX is simpler, easier to use, and allowed implementation of
the function with only base z/OS software.

I was not privy to the design considerations, but I imagine the
designers wanted an archive scheme that was available with base z/OS;
and could be used with a non-z/OS-peculiar server.  Compression is also
desirable.  What are the options?:

o TSO TRANSMIT?  Widely used, but requires TSO TMP.  I suppose a
  requirement to run SMP/E under TSO or vice-versa was unattractive.
  And the format is not compressed, but quite the opposite with a
  high overhead.

o AMATERSE?  Not in base z/OS at the time the facility was developed.

o ADRDSSU?  Don't know.  Is it Internet-friendly?  And I lately
  discovered that there's a rule that to unpack an ADRDSSU archive
  the user must have read access in the profile governing the
  original data set name, even when unpacking to a different name;
  a clear impediment to portability.  I understand the rationale
  for this rule, but it could have been relaxed somewhat and
  still achieved its objective.

I suppose the first scheme they found that met the criteria was the
pax.Z format common in UNIX.

But why didn't they abandon relative files and put everything inline
with GIMDTS, compressed with GIMCPTS?

-- gil

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html