Hi

Just starting to plan the 1.7-> 1.8 z/OS upgrade

We have a four-system sysplex and intent to go to 1.8 by doing a rolling
update over a week.  Ie there will be about a week with some systems running
z/OS 1.8 and some running z/OS 1.7

One thing I can't seem to find unambiguous information about is the update
path for the RACF database, ((which is shared by all systems in the plex))

At the moment we plan to do the following:

a) ON a 1.7 SYSTEM  run IRRMIN00 UPDATE at level 1.8 (ie with the service
pack library STEPLIBed) against the 1.7 primary database.

b) ON a 1.7 SYSTEM  run IRRMIN00 UPDATE at level 1.8 (ie with the service
pack library STEPLIBed) against the 1.7 secondary database.

c) Run for a few days

d) IPL some systems from the 1.8 residence pack

e) Run for a few more days doing other testing

f)  Ipl all systems from the 1.8 residence pack

Is this safe?  Will the 1.7 systems tolerate the 1.8 templates in the
database?  Or should we go the other way and do the upgrade after we IPL to
1.8?

Hope this is clear.