John,

<snip>
Yea, I gave them those references. They're gonna scream: "I didn't need
</snip>

Were you running on multiple physical machines in the past? Or a single
machine, single LPAR in the past? If so, then you need to remind them
that file locking, in support of multiple program access, is different
between 2 or more logical or physical machines. Going from a single
machine, single image (LPAR) to a single machine multiple LPARs is
basically the equivalent of 2 or more physical machines each capable of
access data. This data access has to be controlled and as such provides
the benefits of communicating file status information amongst the users
(programs) accessing the files.

So, yes, they didn't have to do it in the past, because they were on a
single image on a single machine. Yes, now they need to do it because
you effectively have multiple "machines" accessing the same files from
different directions.

Hope this helps in the battle.

Chuck