From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Clark F Morris
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 6:44 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: (Mainframe has competition was fwd) Re: COBOL Compiler for
Windows

The following discussion on comp.lang.cobol may prove interesting.  I
would be curious to read if any of the major claims such as American
Airlines Sabre moving totally to Unix are wrong.

Clark Morris

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 22:38:36 -0500, in comp.lang.cobol Robert
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:58:52 -0600, Howard Brazee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Thu, 1 May 2008 02:56:51 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

...snip
For example, PULSE, the largest ATM/EFT clearing system in the US,
runs entirely on Unix servers.

"The base zSeries 990-332 machine, without disk and memory, costs
around $15 million. If you had to beef it up with an appropriate
amount of memory and disk, the mainframe hardware might cost $30
million. If you have to add monthly software fees for three years
to this machine, it is probably on the order of $50 million for this
machine over three years, including maintenance. Mainframes don't have
list prices--which used to be against the law for IBM--so it is hard
to say for sure. Even if you assume a 50 percent discount, after
adding in the software costs, you are talking about $55 per TPM.
That's a 10 to 1 price premium. And it will get worse as the Power6
and Power7 generations roll out, unless IBM consolidates the zSeries
into one of these future Power-based servers. And that is why many
people believe IBM will do just that, as it has already done with its
proprietary OS/400-based servers."

http://www.itjungle.com/tug/tug120204-story02.html

intended
information.