Richard Peurifoy wrote:

I have not used wrap, so I don't have any experience
with this. If I have some time, I will experiment.

You didn't mention an option that was introduced for both CTRACE and GTF in z/OS V1R7, VSAM linear data sets with a 32K CISIZE. They can be used for either WRAP or NOWRAP purposes. Striping is supported as is extended format (64-bit RBAs). The striping option allows you to increase the effective data rate for recording, and extended format yields capacity. Trace processing subcommands under IPCS accept them directly. If you're experimenting, give them a try.

Bob Wright - z/OS Service Aids