-------------------<snip>-----------------

While we're speaking of books we no longer have, but wish we did, I vote
for "The Adolescence of P1".

Or "Valentina: Soul in Sapphire " or either edition of "When Harlie was One". All are about Sentient Computer Programs that roam the Net (before the Internet even existed).

As for P1, if you are willing to spend under $4.50 there are a large number of copies on the Amazon Market Place for under $0.50 with a $3.99 S+H charge. I still have my original copy in my Computer SF Collection (along with Valentiana and both versions of Harlie). P1 is fun since it is based on a thinly disguised version of the IBM DOS/360 Operating System.

While we're fantasizing, does anyone remember "The Forbin Project" ??  :-)