From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
David Logan
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:01 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Remote tape drive

>> To the OP: is there some reason you could not attach a tape unit to the
>> MP-3000 using native channels and use FTP to get the data there?

Yes. Getting the data there isn't the issue. The hard part is FTPing the
warm body to the tape drive so that said warm body could *mount* a tape.
This is a development shop, not production. There are no operators. The
people mulling up and down the hallways at the remote location are generally
unwilling to stop and mount a tape, and even if they were willing, they go
home at 5 :)

>> Also to the OP: most modern tap units can drive an ESCON path to
>> saturation. I believe the current ROT is one path per transport. That
>> should give you an idea as to pipe size needed to get the best use of
>> the unit.

Thanks! As I said, it's only a development shop, so a single unit would
suffice. We just need some type of access to a tape unit.

David Logan
Manager of Product Development, Pitney Bowes Business Insights
http://centrus.com
4750 Walnut St, Suite 200
Boulder, CO  80301
W: (720) 564-3056