[snip]

> More, we manage our production environment by sending emails about
> exception events. We feel like it works well for us. Extending that to
> hardware management is a small step.

Using what? Will it respond to a SNMP trap to send an email?

> Right now, we feel that the known risks associated with
> interconnecting
> these machines to the company LAN outweigh the potential benefit. But
> this is all a living process and ya just gotta keep up to remain
> competitive.

If this is a worry, put all the sensitive hardware on one physical LAN
segment. Connect that LAN segment to the rest of your internal LAN via a
firewall/router. And use VLAN support. That will isolate your sensitive
hardware from the "unwashed masses" on your LAN. The firewall can be
configured to only allow outgoing SNMP connections to your SNMP server
which will do the actual email paging. The firewall can stop ALL
incoming connection requests / pings / whatever. This is about as secure
as I can imagine anything being, short of powering it down.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.