On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:35:43 -0500, McKown, John wrote:

> [...]
Is it any different for z/OS servers?  They're impelled to
be compatible:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:135$ ftp localhost
IBM FTP CS V1R7
220-FTPD1 IBM FTP CS V1R7 at MVS 23:54:52 on 2008-05-21.

Command:
put foo bar
125 Storing data set SPPG.BAR
250 Transfer completed successfully.

Command:
put foo bar
125 Storing data set SPPG.BAR
250 Transfer completed successfully.

### So it replaces. ###

Command:
put foo bar (replace
Usage: PUT localfile <foreignname>

### and there is NO "(replace" option. ###

My favorite is:

    cd /ftp/SISR/RECREG
    put 'UMSDEV.CONV.QA04.NPRSMED' person.temporaryfile
    rename person.temporaryfile  person

That way, the recipient never observes a partially updated
"person" file.

-- gil