At 13:06 -0400 on 05/21/2008, Richards, Robert B. wrote about Re: Practical jokes for mainframe systems programmers:

Ask the person that was the object of the joke if they thought it was
funny. Hey, I like a good joke as much as the next person, but these did
not hit my funny bone for some reason.

Bob

This reminds me of a joke pulled on a fellow student (whose last name happened to be Phelps) a large number of years ago. We had a time sharing system (with a tractor paper feed terminal) where you were allow a designated amount of computer time a week. One day his account was set to start outputting a "Mission Impossible" briefing starting "Good Morning Mr. Phelps" when he logged on and the ability to interrupt the session was disabled. The Briefing ended with the statement "IN 5 SECONDS YOUR TIME FOR THE WEEK WILL SELF-DESTRUCT" and it started to page eject advance the paper typing the 5-4-3-2-1 count down and then logging him off. Until his account was reset his remaining time was 0 minutes.