I know the offset and format of the count, and I certainly can compare it to a
literal. The problem is not knowing the maximum value the count could have in
any group of records (and each record can have a different value for the
count).  I could for example, code the IFTHEN statement to handle 9
segments, but have a record show up with 10.  I could, I suppose, make one
pass through the file to determine the maximum number of segments, then
create control statements to process them.  I guess what I was looking for
would be more of an iterative loop processing of the record segments.