From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Edward Jaffe
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 12:09 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Advertising on IBM-MAIN

--snippage--

My questions are *far* more general in nature. Rather than focus on one
post or one person, I'm trying to ascertain what's now considered
appropriate material for IBM-MAIN in the absence of the strong (and
sometimes dictatorial) leadership provided by Darren Evans-Young.

I have asked what I thought were simple questions. But, nobody seems
capable of providing the answers. (You just keep focusing on Tim
Sipples. I don't even read his posts. But, I do read yours -- which is
how I got into this discussion in the first place. So please try to take

a step back and look at the bigger picture here.)

Are there guidelines for use of IBM-MAIN? A charter? Canons of Conduct?
I haven't found anything specific. Yet, it seems that somehow 5,000+
subscribers knew that Darren was the focal point for sanctioning job
postings and announcement material. He even personally forwarded Candle
Omegamon product announcements to the list in 2002. For example:

http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0210&L=ibm-main-archives&P=R104091&I
=1&X=-

This generates even more questions. How did people come to consider
Darren the final authority on the acceptability of material posted to
IBM-MAIN? Perhaps the "regulars" knew through constant contact with the
list. But, how did occasional readers or people new to the list know?
Has IBM-MAIN ever been a moderated list? (Not that I recall. AFAIK, once

something is posted, it can't be un-posted.) What's to stop someone from

posting pornography?

In http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0107&L=IBM-MAIN-ARCHIVES&P=R97246

(July 2001) Darren says:

|I have tried to let the list run itself, but obviously this is not
|working. I'm working on putting together the list rules. You will
|be receiving warnings from me for violating those rules. Repeated
|violations will result in being set to REVIEW or unsubscribed.

I've looked. But, I can't find where Darren ever communicated his "list
of rules" to the IBM-MAIN participants. Has anyone ever seen these
rules? What sorts of things to they cover?

Without Darren's oversight, what will the future hold? Will IBM-MAIN
just be in "free fall" from this point forward? Or, will a new moderator

/ list-owner take over? Inquiring minds want to know...