-----------------------------<snip>-------------------------
I'm naive here. I suspect many of my misconceptions will be promptly corrected.

It's my understanding that for many decades EXCP has not executed channel programs in place and as provided by the caller. Rather, they are moved to protected storage so the user can not modify them on the fly; they are prefixed to prevent seeks to prohibited tracks; virtual addresses are translated to real; etc. I'd further expect changes to CCW architecture to accommodate XA and later 64-bit addressing and new I/O architecture. So the "checks to prevent it" may be a matter of IBM's resource allotment: rather than continually update EXCP code to all new hardware features, it's easier simply to prohibit use of EXCP for such purposes.
Don't forget adjustments made for non-contiguous real storage areas containing buffers, etc. (IDAW anyone?) :-)

It has always struck me as bizarre that the OS supports running
channel programs built by problem-state programs. This is secure only if the channel programs are in effect interpreted rather than executed directly. A more rational layering of functions should have channel programs built only by trustworthy supervisor-state code.
Makes perfect sense to me. Under OS/360, we didn't have the protection that CCW translation gives us today and it was incredibly easy to destroy part of the OS. But EXCP is much of the mechanism for developing support for new or exotic devices, like the old MCR/OCR gear that was so doggone timing-sensitive.