From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Richard Peurifoy
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:00 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IPL Text

Yukus, Mary J CIV USMEPCOM wrote:
> One more question on this subject, once this job executes, is there a data
> set that gets updated that I can verify it worked?  Will it always reside
on
> the RES volume? (somewhere in the back of my memory I seem to remember my
old
> boss mentioning that we put it on a different volume, not the RES)  I may
be
> thinking of something else, but would like to feel a little more confident.
> How do I know it was successful?  I know (think) that SYS1.NUCLEUS fits in
> here somewhere.

The IPL text is written onto track 0 of the RES volume. SYS1.NUCLEUS
must also be on this volume. When you IPL the machine will start
an I/O operation to read the bootstrap from track 0. This bootstrap
consists of  a PSW and CCW's to read the IPL text (including more
CCW's), and then commnand chain to the newly read CCW's. After the
CCW chain is complete, the PSW will be loaded and start executing the
loaded program. This in turn will search for SYS1.NUCLEUS and start
overview.

If the ICKDSF completed normally, it should have written the IPL text.

You should be doing this on a clone of your system so that if there is
a problem you still have a RES volume you can IPL.

--
Richard