Can Perl read z/OS datasets? Or only UNIX files? If the latter, then
you'd need to either copy the SMF data to a UNIX file, or maybe use
Dovetail's "fromdsn" to pipe the dataset contents to the Perl script. In
either case, Perl is only going to see a stream of bytes. Which could be
a problem unless that stream includes the RDW (which fromdsn can do) so
that Perl will know how long each record is. I don't know if it is
possible to "reconstruct" SMF records into individual records if the RDW
is missing. I would also be a bit concerned with easy use of SMF/RMF
timestamps. That is the main reason that I love SAS for SMF/RMF
processing.

> I have a side interest in "seeing modern stuff demonstrated
> on z/OS" and a
> German colleague whose whole "day job" appears to be the
> same. Maybe I
> should work with HIM to demo Perl going against SMF. Note:
> Perl would have
> to cope well with things like triplets.

I think Perl could do this using the "substr" function, along with the
"unpack" function. That's what I do in REXX.

> Any other languages need to be demo'ed against SMF? Or
> similar truculent
> data? :-)

I did some work using Java, but a combination of lack of time and a
decrease in interest (it is difficult!) put the kabosh on that project.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.