On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 08:20:07 -0500, Mark Zelden wrote:

>I use TSO ALLOCATE.   The problem was I needed to know the exact data
>set name allocated so I could do a 2nd ALLOCATE of the temp PDS with
>member name included to write the panel PDS member with EXECIO.
>When the data set was allocated to VIO I could not find the DSN using
>LISTDSI in order to do the 2nd allocate.  Using all the proper LM* ISPF
>services is a little slower, but it is the correct way to handle it and it
>always works.
>
>Current code:
> http://home.flash.net/~mzelden/mvsfiles/iplinfo.txt
>look for "BROWSE_ISPF:"

Thanks.

Uh, yah.  Been there; couldn't do that (but I didn't try LM*).

If I use BPXWDYN( 'alloc RTDDN(DD) RTVOL(V) RTDSN(DS) ...' ) to allocate
it to DASD,  I can process it with EXECIO using the returned DDNAME,
and later reallocate it to a different DDNAME using the returned
volume and dsn.  But if I allocate it to VIO, the returned volume
and dsn are insufficient to reallocate it.

Circumventions:

o I don't use VIO.

o I pass the returned ddname to the utility in an alternate ddname parameter.

o I allocate to the DDNAME I intend to use later.  This can look bizarre:

    call BPXWDYN( 'alloc dd(SYSIN) unit(VIO) ...' )
    'EXECIO' stem.0 'DISKW SYSIN (stem stem.'

As someone suggested earlier, who needs VIO nowadays?  But the academic
question remains:  Is it possible to dynamically reallocate a VIO data
set to a different DDNAME?  Rexx?  Otherwise (other than JCL referback)?
How does JCL do it?

-- gil