On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 08:31:01 -0700, Edward Jaffe
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It means 3278 with a TEXT keyboard. These pre-3270 emulation
subtleties,
>nuances, and idiosyncrasies have mostly faded into history by now. I
>know how it differs from the APL keyboard. But, I'm not sure how it
>differs from other 3278-related types.  ...

Back inthe late '80s I worked in a shop thet hade TEXT keyboards.
They had an alternate character set and a Text/noText switch.
When in TEXT mode the terminal inserted a Graphic Escape (x'08')
in front of "normal" byte generated by that particular key.

I just looked in the 3270 Data Stream Programmers manual to
confirm this memory and was surprised to see that this Graphic
Escape "character" was no character at all; it was a 3270 order.
By defining it allowed the 3270 character set to be doubled without
changing the characteristics of the 3270 datastream (except
doubling its length).

Code points x'40'-x'FE' were all valid "alternate character set"
characters.  I vaguely remember there was a <some color> card
showing the TEXT alternate character set.

Pat O'Keefe