----------------------------------<snip>----------------------
I have always been advised against giving information to users, operators, programmers, etc. on the grounds that they were all dummies. It was said that they could not be trained, especially if it was perceived that they should already know. Further, it was contended, giving the user-dummies information would only make them dangerous.

I have never followed that advice. I've worked with hundreds of people who were alleged to be too stupid to learn to do things right. Every one of them was better off for having things explained to them. In my experience, the user-dummy always benefits from whatever education you can give him. The organization always benefits as well.
I always encouraged people to talk with their co-workers or immediate supervisors first, keeping myself as a last resort. And I was very tight-lipped about anything concerning security.