Hi John,

Interesting way for my home state to get in the media!!  Unfortunately
the state made a "slight" mistake in this implementation.  The
legislature decided to change the way license plates are handled when a
vehicle gets sold.  They switched from the plates going with the vehicle
to the plates staying with the seller.  There was a hard implementation
date to get this change made.  Unfortunately they apparently decided to
use this law change as the reason to migrate the application off the
mainframe.  So, they had no fall-back ability in case of problems -
which apparently are myriad.  One of my co-workers said he heard the
application needs to be cycled multiple times a day - either to keep it
from crashing or because of crashes.

Rex

> Subject: South Dakota migrates off mainframe; chaos ensues
>
> From this week's TechTarget magazine....(watch for line wrap here)