IBM appears to be expanding use of storage below the 16M line,
rather than converting their own code to 31-bit addressability. Here is
the reply I received when I ETR asked CICS why I could no longer get a
certain DSALIM value in TS22 after going to zos 1.08.
        "There is Common Storage shared by all address spaces, and not
considered
part of the private storage available for address space (task) use.
In OS/390 2.10 the amount of Common Storage needed by the system was
smaller than is required by z/os 1.8, which has much more function.
When Common Storage increases, the amount of private storage decreases.
My guess, based on my years of experience is that in your 2.10 system
the amount of private storage available was 10M or possibly 11M. It
must be on a meg boundry. In z/os 1.8 the amount of storage available
for CICS , or any other address space has shrunk to 9M based on the
increase in Common Storage."
        It appears to me that IBM is assuming that the below the line
storage is now free and available for their use, and rather than going to
31-bit addressing themselves, they are expanding use of 24-bit.
Interesting.  Looks like a bit of "do as I say, not as I do."