Mark Zelden wrote:
While I applaud IBM for finally making this change and all the
vendors who are modifying their code for this (and Sam K. and others
for pushing the vendors), I really don't have a problem running with
ALLOWUSERKEYCSA(YES) on my systems at this point.   The exposure
has been there forever and making it go away overnight (in relative
terms of time) just isn't a big concern for me.

I remember having to run JES2 jobclass definitions with SWA=BELOW for
many years after MVS/XA (some shops might still have a few classes
defined for SWA=BELOW). And getting to CSCBLOC=ABOVE took some time also. I realize it is a different issue since ALLOWUSERKEYCSA involves system integrity, I just am not going to lose any sleep over it
at this point.   Talk to me again in a couple of years...

Identifying integrity exposures is a double-edged sword. Everyone agrees that such exposures must be identified and fixed. But, the real-world risk posed by any such exposure is proportional to the amount of attention you draw to it.

Things will work fine "forever" so long as exposures are not recognized. But, once people know about -- and might try to exploit -- an integrity exposure, it becomes a high-priority item that must be taken seriously.

Every time Sam K. or anyone else raises public awareness about specific, existing integrity exposures, the chances for industrial sabotage to the world's largest production z/OS installations increase dramatically. A "bull's eye" is painted; a challenge is presented; illegal money-making opportunities abound.

This is why IBM integrity APARs never appear in public APAR data bases. (It's also why Micro$oft Windows vulnerabilities are not publicized until after a fix has been developed.)

The best opportunity for IBM and ISV developers to fix these integrity issues was in the ten-year period after the IgvNoUserKeyCsa DIAG TRAP came out with OS/390 V2R6 (September 1997) and before the AllowUserKeyCsa option became available with z/OS 1.8 (September 2007). Conscientious developers took full advantage of that ten-year opportunity. The lazy or arrogant ones did not.

IgvNoUserKeyCsa was discussed at SHARE by Bob Shannon many years ago. (A "Bit Bucket" presentation IIRC.) Users could have helped to identify exposures by enabling the TRAP on test/sandbox systems. Some did. Most did not.

In any case, it should be obvious that the best policy, when dealing with potentially serious integrity exposures, is secrecy.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc