Dave,

z/OS 1.9 already splits out the TN3270 server into a separate address space.
See below:

D A,L
 IEE114I 12.15.30 2008.196 ACTIVITY 965
  JOBS     M/S    TS USERS    SYSAS    INITS   ACTIVE/MAX VTAM     OAS
 00004    00017    00001      00030    00014    00001/00050       00012
  LLA      LLA      LLA      NSW  S  RMF      RMF      IEFPROC  NSW  S
  VLF      VLF      VLF      NSW  S  DLF      DLF      DLF      NSW  S
  OPER     OPER     IEFPROC  OWT  S  EPWFFST  FFST     EPWFFST  NSW  S
  NET      NET      NET      NSW  S  JES2     JES2     IEFPROC  NSW  S
  RACF     RACF     RACF     NSW  S  TSO      TSO      STEP1    OWT  S
  RMFGAT   RMFGAT   IEFPROC  NSW  SO INETD4   STEP1    OMVSKERN OWT  AO
  SYSLOGD5 STEP1    OMVSKERN NSW  AO CRON6    STEP1    OMVSKERN OWT  AO
  TCPIP    TCPIP    TCPIP    NSW  SO TN3270   TN3270   TN3270   NSW  SO
  LPSERVE  LPSERVE  LPD      NSW  S  MISCSERV MISCSERV MISCSERV OWT  SO
  PORTMAP  PORTMAP  PMAP     OWT  SO RXSERVE  RXSERVE  RXSERVE  OWT  SO
  FTPD1    STEP1    FTPD     OWT  AO

And from the SYS1.PROCLIB TN3270 member -

//TN3270   PROC PARMS='CTRACE(CTIEZBTN)'
//*TN3270   PROC PARMS='TRC=TN'
//*******************************************************************
//* 10/18/07 mlm: copied from TCPIP.SEZAINST(EZBTNPRC)
//*******************************************************************
//*
//*  z/OS Communications Server
//*  SMP/E Distribution Name: EZBTNPRC
//*
//*  5694-A01 (C) Copyright IBM Corp. 1991, 2004
//*  Licensed Materials - Property of IBM
//*
//*  Function: Start TN3270 Telnet Server
//*
//* The PARM= field is used for CTRACE() or TRC= setup only.
//* No LE parms are passed to attached C processes.
//*
//TN3270   EXEC PGM=EZBTNINI,REGION=0M,PARM='&PARMS'
//*
//*******************************************************************
//*     The C runtime libraries should be in the system's link list
//*     or add them via a STEPLIB definition here.  If you add
//*     them via a STEPLIB, they must be APF authorized with DISP=SHR
//*
//*STEPLIB  DD ...
//*
//*     SYSPRINT contains detailed trace output from 3270 Transform.
//*        It can be directed to SYSOUT or a data set.  We recommend
//*        directing the output to SYSOUT due to data set size
//*        constraints.
//*
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=X,DCB=(RECFM=VB,LRECL=132,BLKSIZE=136)
//SYSOUT   DD SYSOUT=X,DCB=(RECFM=VB,LRECL=132,BLKSIZE=136)
//CEEDUMP  DD SYSOUT=X,DCB=(RECFM=VB,LRECL=132,BLKSIZE=136)

<snip - there is more but I didn't copy it. >

HITACHI
 DATA SYSTEMS
Raymond E. Noal
Senior Technical Engineer