Bri P writes:
>I also think that, for something as crucial as DR,
>why put yourself through the risk that comes from
>doing these swaps?

Yes, as I recall that was a major area of conversation. But that's also why
there's a certain school of thought that, at least for some cases, the
definition of "production" ought to include flipping workloads back and
forth between data centers as mere periodic standard operating procedure.
You might call this "nomadic production" -- just moving every so often as a
normal state of existence. To use another (bad?) analogy, nomadic
existences (migratory birds, human populations, etc.) seem to favor
survival.

It was pretty easy to figure out that nomadic production is technically
feasible with mainframes. (It's just DR flipping by another name, and you
can get those all the way down to RTO=RPO=0 with the appropriate design.)
Actually the minor mystery was financial. But financially it seems to be at
least much less expensive than it was in the past. To pick one budgetary
element, if you wanted to do this in the 1990s you had to pay very roughly
double for software as full capacity licensing ruled the day. But now if
you're on Variable Workload License Charge (VWLC) and schedule the
production flips appropriately (perhaps midnight early morning on the 2nd
day of the month? :-)), the difference in software cost seems to be
something very much like zero, at least for the IBM stuff. That policy is
unique to mainframes as far as I know.

NOTE: Consult your IBM rep, blah blah. "Tim said it was zero" gets you zero
credit. :-)

Patrick Falcone writes:
>A recent interview I had with a large financial institution,
>east coast, came from the fact that they were going to a
>GDPS, *geographically dispersed personnel support* structure.
>The support team was somewhat duplicated at a different site.
>located about 300 hundred miles away.

The people are always the weak link. I think most everybody here is
familiar with the fact that you have to plan DR as if the IT people didn't
exist -- or at least most of them didn't exist. Regardless of what you
plan, when push comes to shove employees are going to want to save their
spouses, parents, children, grandchildren, and other relatives before they
want to bother saving any business. And the cases where business interests
and family interests precisely align are rare. And employees may not
survive, may not get to the office, may not connect, etc. Best case you'll
keep the employees who are currently in the office on shift, and even then
it might be a good idea to have some orphans, only children, widows, and
widowers on staff. :-) It's also very, very difficult to rehearse staffing
outcomes.

So things need to be automatic and automated.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]