Apparently it's fixed in 1.9. When we were burned vipa made it painless.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM TCP/IP List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Colin
Keltie
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 4:36 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [IBMTCP-L] segmentationoffload

Like most everybody else on this list, we got very badly burned by
segmentation offload last year: one minor change applied on our
development LPAR triggered the OSA disconnect and bingo: all service
lost,
and IPL'ing didn't restore comms. it took us a few days to track down
the
root cause as segmentation offload (as the feature had been applied by
default since we upgraded to z9's), and we were one day away from
applying
the same PTF to our production environments!!

I've been waiting with bated breath to see what IBM would be
recommending,
but unless I've missed it there's been no new announcements. I would be
very wary of enabling segmentation offload matey.

Colin

"Rabara, Ed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM TCP/IP List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
24/07/2008 18:53
Please respond to
IBM TCP/IP List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc

Subject
Re: [IBMTCP-L] segmentationoffload

This Washington Systems Center Alert has been around for a while. Does
it still apply?

Like everyone else that ran into the problem, is the recommendation to
run with NoSegmentationOffload still valid?

John S.
> Giltner, Jr.
> Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 9:47 AM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [IBMTCP-L] segmentationoffload
>
> IBM has problems with segmentation offload and they are still
recommending
> that you run with it disable.  You can loose access to a OSA adapter
with
> it enabled.  Watch for the wrap:
>
> http://www-

1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=852&context=SSSN3L&dc=D600&uid=swg21232
59
> 9&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=en&rss=ct852other
>
> Search on "COMMUNICATIONS SERVER MAINTENANCE" within the above page
and
> read the part in bold.

When
> I display my tcp config I do see that segoffload=yes, but how do I
know if
> tcp is actually exploiting it? Anyway to tell?
> >
> >Thanks Matt
> >
> >Global Configuration Information:
> >TcpIpStats: No   ECSALimit: 0000000K  PoolLimit: 0000000K
> >MlsChkTerm: No
> >SegOffload: Yes SysplexWLMPoll: 060
> >Sysplex Monitor:
> >  TimerSecs: 0060  Recovery: No   DelayJoin: No   AutoRejoin: No

> >For IBMTCP-L subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
> >send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO IBMTCP-L

> For IBMTCP-L subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO IBMTCP-L

For IBMTCP-L subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO IBMTCP-L

This e-mail is confidential and, if you are not the intended recipient,
please return it to us and do not retain or disclose it. We filter and
monitor e-mails in order to protect our system and the integrity,
confidentiality and availability of e-mails. We cannot guarantee that
e-mails are risk free and are not responsible for any related damage or
unauthorised alteration of e-mails by third parties after sending.

For more information on Standard Life group, visit our website
http://www.standardlife.com/

Standard Life plc (SC286832), Standard Life Assurance Limited*
(SC286833)
and Standard Life Employee Services Limited (SC271355) are all
registered
in Scotland at Standard Life House, 30 Lothian Road, Edinburgh EH1 2DH.
*Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. 0131 225
2552. Calls may be recorded/monitored. Standard Life group includes
Standard Life plc and its subsidiaries.

Please consider the environment. Think - before you print.

For IBMTCP-L subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO IBMTCP-L

NOTICE:  This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential.
The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended
as the recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying,
printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the
message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the
sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original
transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer
system. Thank you.