Mike

The regular z/OS Configuration Guide has a 35 page chapter with the
title "Security" in Part 1 and a 199 page chapter with the title "IP Security"
in
Part 2. I was using the z/OS V1R9 manual.

>... is anyone using it?

The customer with which I am working at the moment is using it - a lot.

> ... how good is it?

It works very well. The older folk like the statements but the younger folk
like
the GUI tool and say it is just like configuring a more traditional firewall
with
which, because this is the sort of thing to which students of networking are
exposed these days, they are familiar.

Strangely enough, because of a revision of the structure of the "network" in
the vicinity of the "mainframes", this customer is using "IP Security" to
replace
a real, traditional, old-fashioned firewall.

A tip: you should use the OSA NONROUTER function also as part of
your "firewall" armoury but try to remember you used it when someone comes
along and says "Oh, I forgot to tell you about that particular application that
lives here - pointing to a diagram - and so needs a bit of routing from this
LPAR ...". Just fixing the "IP Security" statements didn't work! Some bruises
can last a long time!

Chris Mason

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:58:57 +0000, Jan Vanbrabant
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi Mike,
>>Hello all, out of curiosity. I heard that there is a built in firewall
>>with z/os. Is this true? And if it is, is anyone using it? And how good
>>is it?
>Starting in z/OS V1R8, Firewall Technologies is no longer available
>(announced Feb 15th, 2005)
>
>Cut-and-paste from this IBM presentation:
>http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ieduasst/stgv1r0/topic/com.ibm.iea.
commserv_v1/commserv/1.8z/overview/whatsnewSecurity.pdf

>z/OS V1.7 is the last z/OS release to include the Firewall Technologies
component of the Integrated Security Services element.

>Many Firewall Technologies functions have been stabilized for some time and
can be
>replaced using comparable or better functions provided by or planned for
Communications Server, notably,
>- IPSec
>- IP packet filtering
>- In addition, a functionally rich downloadable tool is planned to replace the
IPSecurity and IP Filtering configuration GUI support.